Ramanujan Mathematical Society (RMS)
The Ramanujan Mathematical Society (RMS) was founded at the National College Campus during 1985. It has recently acquired its registered office at the National College Campus. Besides conducting annual and special conferences, the Society publishes the Journal of the Ramanujan Mathematical Society (JRMS), Lecture Notes Series in Mathematics (RMS-LNS), Little Mathematical Treasures, Collected Works Series and the Mathematics Newsletter. The Society has also embarked upon extension programs - UGTEs, the Undergraduate Faculty Enrichment Programs, a School Teacher Training Program in collaboration with Aziz Pemji University, an Outreach Program at Tiruchirapalli and an all India Compact Course Program, the latter two for M.Sc., Mathematics Students. In all over 40 such programs had been conducted in the last two years, namely, 2014 and 2015.
National College, Tiruchirapalli was founded in June 1919, thanks to the munificence of the late Diwan Bahadur S.Rm.CT.Pethachi Chettiar, Zamindar of Andipatti and the collective initiative and zeal of Justice T.V.Seshagiri Iyer, Sir.T.Desikachariar, N.D.Subbarama Iyer and Sri. Sivarama Krishna Iyer and a galaxy of eminent personalities. As on date, the college offers fourteen Post-Graduate Programmes and eighteen Under-Graduate Programmes. The college has been recognised as one of the Centres of Advanced Learning and has been accorded permission for registering candidates for research leading to the award of PhD in twelve disciplines. The College was re-accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) at ‘A’ Grade in 2011. The University Grants Commission, New Delhi, conferred autonomous status on the college in 2010. The College has also been conferred the rare distinction of “College with Potential for Excellence” by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.